Monday, June 21, 2010

Jesus is with us in the kitchen

I just had the neatest conversation! I was sitting at the kitchen table reading my Bible and journaling about it (S.O.A.P. method... fairly simple). The little Chinese home-stay girl came over very intrigued as to what I was doing. She had never read the Bible before and was so interested that I was studying it and had highlighted it etc. She sat down and she continued to ask me question after question about the Bible and Jesus and Heaven. We went through my journal entry from yesterday. She was very interested in hearing about how Jesus speaks to us and that He is still alive today. I'm very passionate about the Bible and Jesus, but I don't think I'm a very good evangelist. It was a great chat and I hope we have more, but I did not lead her to the Lord. It's challenging, but quite fun, with her very beginner English level. I then asked her about her history and religion. Her family is Muslim, but she chose to become a Buddhist. She became a Buddhist because she was looking for peace inside. I asked if she found it in Buddhism... she thought for a moment and then said no... no she had not. Then she got uncomfortable and changed the subject (I thought that was a bit interesting).
Anyhow, we chatted some more. She is such a sweet girl and I'm impressed how much she attempts to interact with us in English. She also translates for her dad who only knows "coffee, tea, juice and hello" in English.
They are going to BC for a week to visit a friend-- you might see her! I gave her a list of all the amazing places they have to visit in Vancouver-- she's very excited! :-) Home really is the best place on earth!


Work today was pretty good. I contacted most of the pastors today to set up meetings with them and the interns coming. Pastor Ron had not yet told them that they are having interns this summer! I was rather surprised... so now I have to convince them that this is a good thing and how the intern will help them this summer! Lots of surprises I'm discovering... but it's all good :-P
One of my tasks is to organize their first ever Youth Unit Rally among the 4square churches here ("Youth Explosion" event). I've got contacts now with a missionary and recording artist Gary Keane. He actually grew up in Toronto before moving to Nashville to record CDs and then as a missionary to Kenya. He's back here on furlough and wants to help! So that's great! I just need a venue to hold several hundred people... none of the local 4square churches here do.... so that is a prayer point!

Jesus is good :-)

"We [I] do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." 2 Chronicles 20:12b
"Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's". 2 Chronicles 20:15b

1 comment:

  1. yay Thank you for sharing this blog.
    So good to hear from you and see the
    pics of where you are.

    Hope you get to connect with JJ when he gets back from South Africa.
    Be blessed Jasmine. (sorry for the obscure name its my profile for this account and I do NOT want to add another one)
    The name of the Lord is a strong tower!
    hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete