Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day, too much air conditioning and Brazilian pudding & soccer games

Another Father's Day away from my dad (why do missions trip always have to land around this time?) To keep Dad in shape throughout the summer, I bought him a boxing punching bag and set a new record before I left for our hike that he can work on achieving. Thank goodness for Skype! Absolutely amazing to communicate; almost felt like I was right there in the kitchen talking to my family. Lol, my dog started looking for me outside all the doors and windows! I miss Honey...

But really, I have nothing to complain about. . . I love my dad and am so thankful for our relationship, his love, wisdom, spiritual guidance, and his good health. I'm now living with a lovely lady and her two daughters. This must be the most difficult day of the year for them. Her husband (the girls' dad) died in a motorcycle accident a year ago. The last time their extended family saw him was last Father's Day. I can't imagine the pain and loss and loneliness they must be feeling. All I can do is pray for them and look for ways to bless them.
Interestingly, I read today Psalm 82: "Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked" (vs. 3-4).

On another note. . . when I was in Regina I thought THEY were crazy sports fans (Roughrider's) but I found a new breed of intense passion, competitiveness and ear-piercing cheers! I was inundated with gold and green everywhere! The Morin's are SERIOUS Brazilian soccer fans. His son is actually planning his vacation time around the games! The whole family (30 ppl? even "Nannie") was over today to eat KFC and watch the game for Father's Day. I was relieved to see that Brazil won, because if they were that passionate about them doing well, I didn't want to see it go the other way! To be honest... haha. . . I enjoyed all the food they brought over the most... especially the Brazilian pudding and a delicious cake made by a Caribbean Baker.

I loved all the energy around me today... the Nigerian's at church this morning know how to praise the Lord with all they have! Oh! I just found out that some of my "jobs" here this summer is to help with the church's pre-teen girls's soccer club and lead Aerobic classes at the Hope Centre! Lol, I LOVE that!

Today, I moved out of Pastor Ron & Joan's house and into his daughter Sonia's basement suite. It's beautiful! I love it (I'll attach pictures). It's so big. There's 3 separate bedrooms down here for the girl interns. My room is huge and even has a nice fireplace (not that I'll be using it...). We have our own living room with a media centre and treadmill etc. We share our meals all together upstairs. They also have a home-stay girl from China living with them. Her birthday is next week so her dad came out to visit her (so he is living here too). He made us a delicious authentic Chinese dinner... I didn't know what all we were eating, but it was good!

So, supposedly it's blazing hot outside... but I'm sitting inside wrapped in sweatshirts, blankets and double socks freezing from all the air conditioning (doesn't make sense to me... we'd pay a fortune to find the sun in Hawaii, but we turn on the air conditioning here and
make it colder than winter. . .brrrr)

I'm getting a track record (already!) for packing too much and sleeping in (though I've never been late!) so I'd better go to bed

Night!

1 comment:

  1. Well, if you got Air Conditioner problems, it is better to have an estimate first on how much Air Conditioner repair will cost you this days. The best solution for that is just a click away Toronto Air Conditioner

    ReplyDelete